Name:
Location: St. Louis, Missouri

It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.

Saturday, September 30, 2006

It's been a while. . . .

Well, it's been a while since I posted on this blog. For a few reasons. First, the half marathon was traumatizing and I wanted to come to peace with that before blogging about it. And second, for the past few weeks I've really been wavering on this whole marathon thing. Especially since the 1/2 was just so hard on my body, did I want to go through with the whole full marathon thing. But in the past few weeks I've come to some conclusions.
First, the 1/2 was much harder then it should have been because I trained not to run it for speed but to just finish it with a friend. When I then decided the day before race to run it for speed without training for it by running fast, I should have known I was setting myself up for something not too fun. How could I expect to run 13.1 miles of all 9 minute miles without running any of the long runs close to that fast?
Second, I was really wavering on the marathon because I didn't know if I could do it and because I didn't know if I wanted to put in the training. But then I reminded myself of point #1 and that I had ten weeks to train and would just do what I could with the time I had.
So after the 1/2 marathon, I sort of took off last week from a lot of hard running and just played soccer and went bike riding. This week I rode the bike on Monday, ran 4 miles on Tuesday, took Wednesday off and played soccer on Thursday. I took off Friday and ran 15 miles today. Yes, my first long run since the half marathon. And it hurt. 15 miles of a lot of pain. A lot of soreness still left from the 1/2 marathon and then some extra soreness from soccer on muscles I don't ususally use in running. I ran it in 2 hours, 35 minutes. Not great but not too too terible either. I was actually really disappointed that it was so difficult and my time was so bad but then I recalled point #1 above. I should expect to easily run 15 miles in 10 minute miles when I never trained at 10 minute miles in my long runs. So now not only am I training to increase my distance but I've also got to get back into my normal training range. But I'll work on it. We'll have to see. Right now I feel like I was hit by a bus. Every muscle in my leg feels like it was hit by a bus. But a few more weeks of the running faster and I should be back to my normal training range. We'll see. I'll update more on the 1/2 marathon experience later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home